It was later extended with the addition of cross-wings at each end. Extensive additions were made in 1897-9 which included extensions to the infirmary, and a new laundry, bake-house and a new board-room. In 1948, the site joined the National Health Service as St Mary's Hospital.
Scarborough workhouse main block from the east, 2001. Scarborough workhouse site, 1910 The infirmary lay on higher ground at the south of the site. Scarborough workhouse infirmary block from the south-east, 2001. The workhouse subsequently became Scarborough Public Assistance Institution. The hospital closed in around 2000 and the buildings demolished except for the entrance block.
It was refurbished at a cost of £300 to enable it to accommodate 170 inmates.
However, despite redecoration and the purchase of new furniture, it was still described as "an old...
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] The first Scarborough workhouse, dating from 1728, was in Waterhouse Lane at the north side of Newborough Street.
Scarborough workhouse casuals' block from the north-east, 2001. The main block had the Master's quarters at the centre with male and female wings to each side. On December 4th 1859, the aged paupers were transported "by omnibus" from the old premises to the new workhouse. Together with his wife, a house-cook, an infirmary nurse and a porter, he had charge in April 1861 of 92 inmates who included an 87-year-old flour miller from Malton, a 39-year-old Driffield charwoman with three children under five, a Suffield farm labourer aged 77, a Lancashire plasterer and his wife in their early sixties, and an unmarried domestic servant of 26 from Norfolk with week-old twins born in the workhouse.
The Guilford Preservation Alliance received at the end of 2014 a grant in the amount of ,000 from the State Department of Economic and Community Development, State Historic Preservation Office to add an additional 200-plus historic structures to the 450 buildings in the 1981 Historic Resources Inventory for the Town of Guilford. Built by Angelo Bonzi, an Italian immigrant (his own house). (GPA’s Jones Trust made a grant of ,700 to help replace the roof).149 Denison Drive 30 Dohm Ave 1950, Colonial Revival 40 Dohm Ave 1950, Colonial Revival 64 Dohm Ave 1950, Ranch 74 Dohm Ave 1950, Ranch 85 Dohm Ave 1950, Colonial Revival 95 Dohm Ave 1950, Colonial Revival 105 Dohm Ave 1950, Colonial Revival 321 East River Road (Edwards Street 11-65) 11 Edwards Street 20 Edwards Street 21 Edwards Street 30 Edwards Street 31 Edwards Street 38 Edwards Street 39 Edwards Street 48 Edwards Street 49 Edwards Street 56 Edwards Street 57 Edwards Street 64 Edwards Street 65 Edwards Street“Olde Guilford” says 91 Fair Street was built c. The resulting U-shaped building was converted into a two-unit condo in 2005. JEH notes it does not appear on 1868 Beers Atlas or 1890 Government topgraphic quadrangle.
The architectural historians hired by GPA to do this survey were Kristen Nietering, a Guilford native, and Jordan Sorenson, of New London, CT. Purchased by farmer Abraham Klein in 1936, per phone call with Martin Klein, Abraham’s son, in early 2011. From JEH notes: “According to Edward Brashears [owner] on 7/27/1982, the date “1928” is inscribed on the chimney of his home.
However, by the 1780s, the town's workhouse was described as "a substantial brick building capable of holding 150 persons".
In 1784, the Scarborough Vestry tried, unsuccessfully, to introduce a policy of providing poor relief only through the workhouse.