His Penn dissertation, an edition of the 14th-century Book of Vices and Virtues, was published by the Early English Text Society. At Penn he was a member of the track and tennis teams. He specialized in researching the spread of cancer in the lymphatic system. Schiff W38, Sarasota, Fla., retired chair and CEO of SCOA Industries; May 2. He had served on the board of the Philadelphia chapter of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame. He served on the board of the National Association of Corrosion Engineers. German-born, during the Second World War he served with military intelligence in the 82nd Airborne Division and participated in the Battle of the Bulge. He had served as chair of the executive committee of the liberal-arts faculty, department chair of graduate studies, and coordinator at Temples Ambler campus. He was a board member of the Philadelphia chapter of the Epilepsy Foundation of America. He had maintained a practice in internal medicine in Philadelphia, but closed it in 1958 to join Provident Mutual as medical director.
He had served on the board of trustees of Yeshiva University for many years and was the founding chair of the board of governors of its Wurzweiler School of Social Work; he also served on the executive committee of the board of Brandeis University, and was an emeritus trustee of the Peddie School. And he was vice-chair and a reader for Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic in Bryn Mawr. And he served on the Haycock Zoning Board of Appeals. J., a self-employed architect who had maintained a practice there for 30 years, retiring in 1981; April 26. J., retired head of the orbit-determination group on the Galileo Mission at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Pasadena, Calif.; July 6. Mansure M53, Bryn Mawr, Pa., retired medical director of the Provident Mutual Life Insurance Co. Retiring from that position in 1985, he became consulting medical director for Guardian Life Insurance Co.
His career on Wall Street began when he joined an uncles firm; he formed his own company, Burnham & Co., in 1935, which became Drexel Burnham Lambert in 1973 when it acquired Drexel Firestone. Cowan C31 M34, Malvern, Pa., a retired ophthalmologist who had maintained a practice in Philadelphia for many years; March 6. Welham C31, Martinsville, Va., retired senior medical officer for both the Atlantic and Pacific submarine fleets and chief surgeon for both the Atlantic and Pacific surface fleets of the U. Magnin, an old West Coast chain of upscale department stores; May 8. Nelson Francis G35 Gr37, Providence, R. I., emeritus professor and former chair of linguistics at Brown University; June 14. Y., retired founder of a regional insurance company, now merged with Hilb, Rogal and Hamilton Co., with which he stayed on as a consultant; April 13. Sabo W42 L49, Philadelphia, a judge on the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas from 1974 to 1998; May 8. He had worked for the Phoenix Home Life Mutual Insurance Co. She wrote the article, Social Casework: the Functional Approach, for the Encyclopedia of Social Work (1977). In 1987 she received the Graduate Schools alumni award of merit. Bellairs W47, Wyomissing, Pa., retired real estate broker who operated his own business for 46 years; June 27.
He convinced Michael Milken WG70, then with Drexel Firestone, to stay on. He was associated with the old Philadelphia General Hospital, and Wills Eye and Thomas Jefferson University hospitals. Family lore recounts that he walked into Saks Fifth Avenue as a young man and proclaimed to the stores chair, What I really want is your job. He became an assistant to Adam Gimbel, Saks former owner, then moved on to become a manager at Hudsons in Detroit, vice president of Halle Brothers in Cleveland, president of Weinstocks in Sacramento, merchandising manager at Robinsons in Los Angeles, before landing the job of president back at Saks in New York. Magnin, he oversaw the opening of 24 new stores and a doubling of sales; he retired in 1981. Ada Carretta Finarelli Ed34, Springfield, Pa., retired chair of languages at Beverly Hills Junior High School in Upper Darby; June 23. An expert on computer-aided linguistic research, he was co-creator of the pioneering Brown Corpus, a million-word analytical database of modern written American English, which served as a model for such resources in other languages. He was a trustee of the Orchard Park Library Association for 37 years, serving as its president. Hartranft W37, Annapolis, Md., the founder in 1939 of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, which he served as president from 1952 to 1977; Feb. During the Second World War he was a liaison for President Roosevelt, settling disputes between military and civilian operations and helping to preserve airspace for civilian aviation. J., that specializes in public transportation; May 30. He presided over the highly publicized trials of Mumia Abu-Jamal in 1982 and Philadelphia Mafia boss Nicky Scarfo in 1988. He co-wrote Modern Real Estate Practices in Pennsylvania (1975), now in its ninth edition.
An honorary vice-president of the JDC and the American Jewish Committee, he was a former trustee of the American Friends of the Hebrew University and of the United Jewish Appeal. Forbes C39, Catonsville, Md., a retired officer who had served in the U. Army for 33 years, including one tour as secretary of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; March 18. L39, Gladwyne, Pa., retired chief financial officer of the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. He served on the board of the Central Penn Bank, and from 1955 till 1975 on the Lower Merion school board. Burbank G40, Scottsdale, Ariz., a researcher with the U. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington who retired in 1971 after 25 years; March 2. He joined Gallaghers Warehouses & Trucking Co. He was known on the Main Line and in South Jersey for a 1929 fire truck he drove whenever he could, especially in parades. Meisel C40, Dayton, Ohio, retired aeronautical engineer who taught mathematics and technical writing in the engineering-technology department at the University of Dayton; Feb. He had earlier served as assistant chief of the general testing laboratories of the Quartermaster Inspection Service Command at the U. He designed the Morris County Courthouse, the Morris County Library, and Dover General Hospital. He delayed retiring until 1996, in order to see Galileo reach Jupiter. in Bethlehem, until incapacitated by ill-health in 1998.
He had served on the boards of the American Footwear Industries Association, the National Retailers Merchants Association, and the Ohio State Council of Retail Merchants. He was decorated for valor in action during the Second World War and the Vietnam War. Her field was acid storage batteries, and she had received a number of awards for her work. An enthusiastic outdoorsman and a committed ecologist, he cleared trails at the Riverbend Environmental Center in Gladwyne where he served on the board and in the wooded area around the Beaumont retirement home where he later lived; his son noted that there he was always checking to make sure the recycling was separated properly. Gordon B.
She often gave tours of the area and spoke about its history to school groups and organizations.
During the Second World War he converted his showroom to house sandblasting equipment to clean castings for ships, turbines, and aircraft fuselages. And he was a past president of the American Institute of Commemorative Art. He was a founding president of the Greenwich Dental Society. W29, Wynnewood, Pa., retired marketing executive in the Norristown office of the old Bell of Pennsylvania; May 30.These themes were also his own struggles: his desire to paint and write, and his decision to leave the Orthodox school system went against his family and upbringing. He continued teaching a class entitled The Post-Modernist Search for Self until the fall 2000 [See a tribute by a former student, D. And weekends, of course; and holidays. Graduating from Penn she went to work for The Philadelphia Inquirer, writing a column answering readers questions about the history of Philadelphia and filing features about important events of 100 years before. Molloy, the papers head librarian; marrying in 1932, they were together until his death in 1979.Having received an English degree from Yeshiva University in 1950, he was ordained a Conservative rabbi and received a masters in Hebrew literature from Jewish Theological Seminary in 1954. In 2000, at the age of 90, she published her first book, Finally, a collection of poems illustrated with her photos, after decades of writing fiction and non-fiction for many national periodicals and Penn publications, including the Gazette.Editor-in-chief of Penns 1930 womens yearbook and a recipient of an H.Jean Crawford Award at graduation, she later served the University as publicity chair and publications representative of the Association of Alumnae, chair of the editorial board of the General Alumni Society, guest editor for the Gazettes special February 1957 issue about women, and as a member of the executive council of the Friends of the Library.